||Contra Costa College is a comprehensive community college located in San Pablo, California. We primarily serve the residents of West Contra Costa County.
The Contra Costa Community College District was established by the county’s citizens on December 14, 1948, with boundaries nearly identical to those of Contra Costa County. It encompasses 686 square miles, and extends from Crockett and the Carquinez Straits in the north, to San Francisco and San Pablo Bays on the west, to Alameda county on the south, and to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta on the east. It is the eighth largest community college district in California. There are three colleges in the district in addition to Contra Costa College. Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, which also operates the Brentwood Center, and Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, which also operates the San Ramon Valley Campus.
The College is responsible to its local constituency through an elected Board of Governors, which is the principle policy-making body for the district. Its five members are elected from wards of almost equal population.
Contra Costa College, the first of three colleges in the district, was established in Richmond in 1949. Originally named West Contra Costa Junior College, the first classes were held in the spring of 1950 at the old Kaiser Shipyards in Point Richmond, with a beginning enrollment of 500 students. The College was moved in 1956 to its present location, an 83-acre site in the rolling hills of San Pablo and Richmond, overlooking San Pablo Bay.